You know how they say that the eyes are the windows to the soul? Well, your teeth are like the window to the rest of your health. Taking care of your mouth is an important part of living a healthy life. At Lee Trevino Dental we are constantly keeping up with new innovative and revolutionary dentistry technology, but until we have smart toothbrushes that offer diagnosis the smartest move for a healthy mouth is visiting your dentist regularly for dental exams and maintenance.
The Long Term Importance of Dental Exams
Having bad oral health can be linked to various other health issues. The bad effects of a tooth infection go far beyond an ache; an infection can leak into the bloodstream and become quite serious. Poor oral health can cause complications in:
- Respiratory Disease: research suggests that bad oral health including gum disease can cause respiratory problems. Periodontal health — or healthy gums—can also mean healthy lungs.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Studies have also suggested that there could be a link between bad gums and heart disease. The main cause of this could be inflammation and built up of fatty plaques in the arteries that feed the heart.
- Diabetes: People with diabetes have a hard time processing sugar and consequently have high blood sugar levels which can cause problems throughout the body including the mouth. People with diabetes can also develop gum issues, which can worsen and become severe. Regular dental exams can detect problems early.
- Cancer: People with bad oral health have a higher risk of cancer. This includes people that smoke or use tobacco products who are at risk for mouth and throat cancers. The connection however, can also be linked to pancreatic, kidney, or blood cancers.
How Dental Exams are Part of Overall Well Being
Because of the connection between oral health and other aspects of your well-being, visiting your dentist for regular dental exams is more than just a good idea, it is an investment in your future and your pocket book. During routine dental exams you can expect:
- Teeth cleaning
- Check for gum disease
- Check for cavities and infection
- Evaluate for tooth decay
- Remove stains or deposits on teeth
Having all these aspects of your dental hygiene checked is an important factor in determining any potential health risks. Catching things early will not only make treatment easier, less uncomfortable, and more successful, but make your life easier. At Lee Trevino Dental we are dedicated to ensuring your oral health and hygiene is good to go. That’s why it’s more important than ever to schedule routine dental exams and let us lead you to a healthier life. Schedule your appointment today!