Life is all about figuring out what works for us, right? Between choosing a comfortable home to an affordable (or luxurious) vehicle to the foods that we consume day in and day out, it’s all a matter of personal preference. And with each passing year, we discover more about ourselves and make changes based on those insights.
One of life’s constant battle is our relationship with our teeth. We know that flossing is a must but do we do it? Or how often do we do it? We also know that seeing our dentist every six months is the recommended frequency but when was the last time you sat in a dentist’s office? Okay, so maybe you’re thinking this really doesn’t apply to me. If you’re someone who flosses on a daily basis, visits the dentist frequently, and shows off your pearly whites with pride, we commend you!
There is, however, one area that we, to some degree, struggle with and that is food. Even if you are blessed with the ability to eat and drink as you please without gaining half a pound, are those choices really what is best for you and your teeth? The reality is, we could all improve in different areas of our nutrition whether we realize it or not.
We’ve compiled a list of the easiest to follow tips to help improve your teeth starting today.
Making Healthy Habits a Priority, the Easy Way
If you do the following on a daily basis, we guarantee that you will see improvements on your teeth right away and they will not feel like a chore but rather a regular habit. So let’s get started:
- Take pride in your toothbrush. When you invest in a toothbrush that may be more expensive than the average two or three dollar option, you’ll find that you are more inclined to use it. You don’t want your money to go to waste after all!
- Swap soda for sparkling water. We’ve heard this one time and time again but there’s a reason we are constantly told to drink less soda. And one of those reasons is that it’s full of sugar. Sugar that is harmful to our bodies as a whole, including our teeth.
- Find a salad that you genuinely enjoy. These days all it takes is a quick search on Pinterest and you’ll discover hundreds, thousands maybe, of recipes for homemade salads. The ingredients of a salad are essentially endless. We suggest trying out those that catch your eye. You’ll learn whether you enjoy black olives or prefer vinegarette dressing over the avocado ranch. Once you find a recipe that speaks to your stomach, make that your go-to lunch meal. Taking food to work sets you up for better choices. And on that note…
- Pack healthy snacks. When you bring food with you to work, you are less likely to divert to the candy machine or make a stop at a fast food joint during your lunch hour. The more snacks you pack, the better! Let’s say you’re not craving your granny smith apple today and want yogurt instead, having healthy options on hand gives you the freedom to eat what you want while not having to opt for calorie-less, sugar-filled snacks.
- Carry Xylitol gum with you. Chewing gum that doesn’t contain sugar, aspartame, or plastic can help reduce plaque and lower your chance of getting cavities. Xylitol gum is the best choice in gum because it’s all of those things and more! Xylitol is an ingredient that promotes oral health since it helps fight the bacteria that causes cavities. You’ll notice that this gum is still sweet and that’s because it’s naturally sweet.
And Your Bonus Tip: Schedule Your Next Appointment at Lee Trevino Dental
A dental exam is the first step to revealing the health of your teeth and gums. If you haven’t seen a dentist in quite some time, we want to help put that an end to that streak. The best part is, we’ll make it easy to continue your regular dental visits because you’ll find that our office is friendly and convenient. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment!